“… life, literature, and the pursuit of happiness in the famous Troubadour cellar-club, London’s liveliest and best–loved poetry landmark since the 1950s …”
Former US Poet-Laureate Billy Collins on the Troubadour’s 60th birthday as a writer’s café…
Thanks to the zeal of its many managers and promoters, the Troubadour has evolved over its 60 year history from a hidden-away beatnik coffee house to a world famous center for the performance of music and poetry. Its walls have become storied, and if only the place had halls, they would be hallowed. The Troubadour was the scene of the first reading I gave in the UK, and I count myself among the long line of poets who are eager to return and darken its doorway again.
from Coffee-House Poetry organiser, Anne-Marie Fyfe
A rather special highlight of our Troubadour60 year coming up next.
In our ‘evening with Roger McGough’ we’ll hear Roger read: & we’ll hear about his unique role in bridging poetry’n‘rock’n‘roll, in shaping popular attitudes to poetry over a generation, in bringing a distinctive Liverpool perspective to the wider culture, in crossing media boundaries. Is he now poetry’s ‘patron saint’ (according to Carol Ann Duffy), or is he still its strolling Troubadour, its anarchic court jester?
After our very special ‘in-conversations’ with Paul Muldoon & Mark Doty in the past year, who better to star in our final season of the Troubadour’s celebrations of poetry & music from ‘the ‘sixties & after’?
(In the Troubadour Poetry Prize schedule it’s that magical time when the admin team hands over to our team of judges, thoughtful deliberation replacing high-pressure sorting & cataloguing of your entries. Watch out for results after our prizewinners night, Mon 1st Dec—winners will, of course, have been notified in advance, on Mon 24th Nov.)
And see you all on Monday 3rd Nov!
mon 3 nov: an evening with roger mcgough: leading liverpool poet, performer & radio4 poetry presenter, roger mcgough, with songs from bernadette reed
- Ever since his poetry first appeared in The Mersey Sound In 1967 (& sold over half-a-million copies) Roger McGough has been a fascinating & highly popular cross-cultural figure recording three Top-10 singles (& The Liver Birds theme) with The Scaffold, contributing to Yellow Submarine, appearing in a Beatles mockumentary, translating Molière, recording a one-minute version of The Wreck of the Hesperus, publishing around 30 poetry collections (with another dozen or so for kids) & currently presenting BBC Radio 4’s Poetry Please: Roger is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature & President of The Poetry Society
- plus, after the break, Roger, in-conversation & Q&A with poet, musician & broadcaster C.L. Dallat
- … plus songs from jazz/acoustic singer/songwriter Bernadette Reed whose 2009 album Walking on Water explores sound, form and the silent radiant emptiness that permeates creation: with Ian Salmon (guitar) & Le’Voy Wilson (keyboards)
readings - oct-dec 2014 - troubadour60
mondays 8-10 pm, £8 (concs. £7)
advance booking: send cheque payable to Coffee-House Poetry (no credit cards) to Coffee-House Poetry, PO Box 16210, LONDON, W4 1ZP stating event & no. of tickets
- mon 6 oct: stateside troubadours with poets: philip fried, margo taft stever, tim nolan, susana case, robert peake, jennifer millitello, daphne warburg astor & owen lewis with henry fajemirokun
- mon 20 oct: what we should have said: an entertaining, enlightening, innovative & unpredictable spoken-word shindig with paul farley, jean sprackland, richard douglas pennant, marios takoushis & stuart silver with — before the break — Faber Academy tutors jo shapcott & daljit nagra with recent Faber Academy poets…
- mon 3 nov: an evening with roger mcgough: leading liverpool poet, performer & radio4 poetry presenter, roger mcgough, with songs from bernadette reed
- mon 17 nov: poetry school poets: plus poetry school tutors mimi khalvati & tamar yoseloff with songs from rosie taylor
- mon 1 dec: eighth annual troubadour international poetry prize night: neil astley, amy wack & 2014 prizewinners
- mon 15 dec: out of the blue! azure-themed end-of-season reading with invited guest poets & favourite poems of blue eyes, Mediterranean seas, indigo nights, deep blue moods…
classes - oct-dec 2014 - troubadour60
sundays 12-3.30 pm, £28 (concs. £24)
advance booking only, as our workshops/classes (limited to 15 attendees) are frequently oversubscribed: send cheque payable to Coffee-House Poetry (no credit cards) to Coffee-House Poetry, PO Box 16210, LONDON, W4 1ZP
- sun 9 nov, locked rooms: themed writing workshop with anne-marie fyfe
- sun 7 dec, electric light: a seamus heaney seminar with c.l. dallat
- sun 14 dec, stop all the clocks: themed writing workshop with anne-marie fyfe
NB: each of the above workshops was over-subscribed last season & has a waiting list but all 3 have places available…